Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Losing Weight

I'm sure I manage to capture a lot of readers with that headline. Yes. I am going to blabla about losing weight.

Prologue
Since I started working last monday, I have lost 1kg. It's only been 3 days. It;s not much but its the beginning of a new healthier lifestyle( I think ) I have to walk to the office from KLCC LRT station to Bangunan MAS and that will probably take me about 20 minutes which is equivalent to more or less about 3KM total. I walk back and forth so I walk about 40 minutes a day. Also, I dont really eat much since I brought my own lunch. I had sushi yesterday and sandwich the day before. On top of that, my dinner is small and I eat before 7pm. I try to take less carbs and oil which makes me on a high protein diet.

Chapter 1
Exercising will only make u lose 30% of your fat. Its the food you eat that determines how are you going to lose weight. Starving yourself will let you lose weight but its not the right way to do it. To me, losing weight shouldnt be a burden. It should be another way of living my life, in this case, it should be a healthier lifestyle.

What I did was, I went on a high protein diet. I totally gave up eating rice and its not impossible. Sure, I do have to fight the temptations, but I am more focused about the results I'll be getting in the end - losing weight.

tips1 - never let yourself starve
I know a lot of people think starving is the best way to lose weight. in a way you will lose weight but its not the healthiest way. Starving is a no no. i dont know if many people realize this but, starving gives you a lot of other problem. Physically and mentally. its obvious it will harm your body but a lot of people disregard the fact that mentally, it affects you and the people around you. because you are hungry, you tend to get moody without realizing it

Who says low carbs diet is boring? looks tasty to me!

tips2 - fighting temptations
its very hard to fight the temptations, I agree. but it is not impossible. it is possible. always start with a very positive attitude. tell yourself that you can do it. never doubt yourself that you cant achieve it. So what you can do is, just imagine you're fasting during the ramadhan. Since we are Malaysia, I'm sure the non muslim have at least tried once in their lifetime to fast like the rest of the muslims. Dont have to starve, but whenever you have the urge to eat the high carbs food(rice) tell yourself you're fasting.

Basically, you can have anything thats not too much oil and not rice. there are other things other than rice like, pasta, mee hoon, chips and etc. better option would be pasta cos its not as fattening as rice

tips3 - smaller portion means bigger results
Always take your food in a small portion than you used to. Theres no need to stuff yourself with food because when you want to lose weight, it means that you want to get rid of the fat, so basically, you dont need that extra energy from the food. So just take what you need on a daily basis. You can count how much calories your body need by doing this simple calculation;

RMR (Resting Metabolism Rate) = 9.99w + 6.25s - 4.92a + 166g - 161
  • w = weight in kilograms; if you know your weight in pounds, divide by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms
  • s = your height in centimeters; if you know your height in inches, multiply by 2.54 to get your height in centimeters
  • a = age in years
  • g = gender = 1 for males, 0 for females
Eg: 9.99(54) + 6.25(165) + 4.92(28) + 166 - 161

= 539.46 + 1031.25 + 137.76 + 166 - 161
= 1713.47

This is the amount of calories that I can take to help me survive my daily life. To lose weight, I need to eat 1713.47kcal or less in a day. By taking more than that will only make me become fatter, and less means losing weight. so you know what to do. It helps to take 6 small meals a day to keep you going rather than having one heavy meals a day. Again, try to cut the rice intake.

tips4 - cut the sugar
Not only that it does a lot of benefit to your health, it will also help you to lose weight. Drink a lot of plain water instead of sweet drinks like sirap, bandung, teh tarik and etc. i know when you go out and have a lepak session at the mamaks, we tend to make it a habit to order teh tarik. Here's the thing, start small. Start by ordering teh tarik kurang manis instead of the tarik only. Get used to that. Then in between, try ordering plain water. Lets say u have a session twice a week, what you can do is on the first session try ask for the kurang manis, and the 2nd session try to ask for plain water. itll take time to get used to it but as long as you want to change, it will be a habit.

Chapter 2
Do you exercise? I know I dont. I know I should at least exercise 20 mins a day 5 times a week. by doing this, you can help to reduce 30% of cardiac risk. it will also let you to lose weight. One of the easiest way to exercise is by brisk walking. It is so simple and it can be done in no time. So instead of driving to the 7e near your house, take a walk. or you can walk2-3 rounds in the park. just do some walking a day.

I'm busy? Then spend some money and hit the gym. Walk on the thread mill for 20 mins. Start with 5-10-5 rules. (5mins warm up speed=3, 10mins brisk walking speed=4 and 5mins cool down speed=3) use the 5-10-5 rules for at least a week, then start increasing the speed with the 5-10-5 rules. Once you are used to doing this, its up to you how long you want to run on the mill.

tips5 - killing few birds with one stone.
Spending time with your kids can help you a lot. Not only you get to bond with your kids, you can also exercise. Taking a walk in the park with you kids is a not a bad idea. then on the weekend, you can do some window shopping in the mall. Try to figure something that you can benefit from that needs you to walk.

Chapter 3
Losing weight is not a race. So take your time when trying to lose weight. Monitor your weight on a daily basis and make a weekly graph for that. To me, I prefer to take it really slow so 4 months work for me. So yeah, dont push yourself too hard. Its not how fast you reach your goal, its more or less about how are you going to reach your goal? It doesnt matter which road you take, as long as you get there. I mean safe road of course.

Along the way, I am sure, definitely your spirits will be shattered. After all, we are human. But that's ok. As long as you dont give up, you can lose weight. you will achieve what you want. It really help a lot to be around with around friends and family that support you. try to avoid those who arent being supportive. Im not saying you shouldnt be friends with them, in this case, just try to not be around them much for that period of time that you need to lose weight. negative vibe will only pull you down. Try to explain to these people how important it is to lose weight and that you need their support.

tips6 - have a motivator
Biggest loser is what keeps us going. It showed me that it is possible to lose weight. Me and my husband cried watching it. like seriously. These people are so determine to lose weight. the spirits and the courage they have to do that, its so touching. Find someone who you think can motivate you and put it as your wallpaper. I know it does seem like a funny idea but it helps, im not kidding. This will motivate you.

tips7 - always be patient
The main reason why people can lose weight is because they are not patient enough. Tak sabar kan nak jadi kurus? they think its not working. The most important thing about losing weight is you have to chill and be patient. Thats the rule. Pretend like you're planting a flower. you have to shower them and you have to take care of them. you will see them grow but it takes time. Just like losing weight, you have to be discipline and you have to be patient. you will achieve your goal.

Epilogue
Losing weight overall is about changing your life style. It helps you to live a healthier life. you have to be patient and always tell yourself that you can do it. Most people tend to stop half way because they dont think its doable. Losing weight is always doable. you need to find the right balance and the right amount of habits and routines that can are willing to let go to in an amount that you can cope during the process. Thats why it is wise to set the goal in a long duration, its so that you can turn it into a habit.

I started to gain weight after i stop feeding my daughter and at that time coincidentally I lost my skinny jeans. I wasnt wearing them so I never know that I cant fit into it until its too late. I was so depressed that I was gaining weight but at one point I stopped and told myself that I cant ignore it and not do something. I knew something needs to be done. My husband on the other hand was alreay gaining weight. I mean, really, he was a bear. his diet was bad and he was at a point when I had to tell him to do something about it as well. so in a way we were not happy about ourselves that we had to do something.

My husband through his own process that suits him. and also he was very determine to lose the extra pounds. but we both went on a low carbs high protein diet.

Award winning picture. See how he was so chubby and how he managed to lose weight? hmm. even i envy him sometimes.
My chubbier days. this was actually taken in 2009 before I started to lose weight. I was constantly eating and eating. I was also on a salad diet which didnt work and let me starve.

Well. I hope this entry could benefit you guys in losing weight. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment